“Is Hypnotherapy Right for Me?”
Are you curious about hypnotherapy? Are you still unsure as to whether or not it may help you in your life?
The question “Is hypnotherapy right for me?” is one I am frequently asked. One way you can find out before you come in for an appointment is by testing yourself to see how easily you can go into a trance.
All day long, people are going into and out of levels of trance. When time “flies by” while reading a good book, or when you’re driving, and you don’t realize where you’re going.
Daydreaming, we are all familiar with it, is also known as “white line hypnosis.”
Meditation is also a similar brainwave state as hypnosis.
The key is to relax and follow your hypnotherapist’s instructions, allowing their voice to have the same effect as the line on the road, to guide your attention to different things.
Self-Test to See How Easily You can Be Entranced
Be sure to read through the instructions before attempting.
- Sit in a quiet, comfortable place and take a few breaths, scanning your body for areas of stress and imagine breathing comfort into them.
- Hold your arms out in front at shoulder length like a sleepwalker. Notice they are in front of you. Close your eyes and take a couple of deep, even breaths and slowly let them out.
- Imagine someone tying a helium balloon to your right hand, while at the same time putting a bucket of water on the left hand.
- Imagine you feeling the balloon pulling up and the bucket pulling down. Then add another balloon to the right and more water to the left and feel the right getting lighter and lighter while the left heavier and heavier.
- Continue to add balloons and more water, slowly at least three times. Now open your eyes and look at your hands, are they the same height as when you started? Or is the right somewhat higher than the left?
- No matter the difference, if you imagined the balloon and book, you are curious enough and open-minded enough to go into a trance-like state.
Hypnotherapists know many other ways of leading you into a trance state, an induction, a story that lets you relax, then some deepeners, like counting down and suggesting you can be more deeply relaxed with each number. Not all sizes fit all when it comes to hypnotism and hypnotherapy.
What Can Hypnotherapy Do for Me?
There is so much that can be done!
- For better weight health or to lose weight entirely, hypnotherapy can help you become satisfied with smaller portions when you eat
- You can learn how better to remain calm when you become overwhelmed
- You’ll notice when you are stressed and learn to take “time-out” breaths
- You’ll be able to feel calmer and more confident when talking to people or public speaking
Check out the other benefits hypnotherapy can help out with in my Symptoms section.
If you can imagine being in a relaxed state, then the positive effects of hypnotherapy will seep into your working, waking mind.
Each time you practice, you become better at visualizing the results you want and encouraged by the changes you see.
All it takes is an open mind.
Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to repost this article in its entirety with credit to Healing Soul Hypnosis and a clickable link back to this page.