Types of Depression that Hypnotherapy Can Help Heal
What exactly is depression? It is when a person has a low mood for a long time, which makes it difficult to function during everyday activities. It can affect someone in different ways, with symptoms ranging from mild to severe or somewhere in-between. Depending on how much depression interferes with your life determines its level of severity.
One thing for certain, depression is not a typical mental health condition. There are many types and subtypes of depression that affect many people. Be sure to discuss your depression with a professional before you decide to try hypnotherapy.
Signs of Depression
If you experience symptoms for most of the day, over two weeks, it is important to see a doctor and start getting the care you need.
Signs to be aware of are:
- Low mood, feeling sad and/or angry
- Lack of energy
- Loss of interest or enjoyment in enjoyable activities
- Difficult concentrating
- More easily tired
- Lowered self-confidence
- Difficulty sleeping or sleeping more than usual
- Eating more or less than usual
- Feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- Easily irritated
- Sense of being numb to everything around you
- Low libido
- Thoughts of self-harm and/or suicide
Types of Depression Hypnotherapy Can Help
There are certain types of depression that hypnotherapy can help:
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) – When depression affects you at certain times of the year, primarily winter, as it is known as “winter depression.” In rare cases reverse SAD can also occur (“summer depression”).
- Dysthymia – Mild depression that is continuously present for over two years. Also known as chronic depression, or persistent depressive disorder.
- Bipolar Disorder – a form of manic depression. Consists of manic episodes of extreme lows and extreme highs.
- Prenatal Depression – Depression during pregnancy.
- Postnatal Depression (PND) – Depression after having a baby, also known as postpartum depression. This type usually affects mothers, but fathers can experience it as well.
Hypnotherapy helps to complete “unfinished business” that would otherwise continue to reprocess as self-sabotaging thoughts and behaviours. The process may consist of going deeper into traumatic experiences, memories, and stored emotions, to help release them from the mind and body.
Hypnosis delves into the subconscious; therefore, through hypnotherapy, your hypnotherapist can use techniques to identify and focus on the root causes of your depression while extending positive suggestions to help break the negative thinking patterns.
When it comes to depression, it is important to find what treatment approach works for you, as everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for another. There are many treatment options to try and many people recover from depression and can manage their mental health.
You are not alone. There is hope. Please, keep holding on.
Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to repost this article in its entirety with credit to Healing Soul Hypnosis and a clickable link back to this page.